This easy chicken and vegetable pot pie soup is a modified version of the classic recipe. It has become one of our staple soups for wintertime. The variety of vegetables that accompany the chicken make it full of flavor and very nutritious.
I like to serve with some crusty sourdough bread or homemade popovers. It adds extra coziness and comfort to the meal and some strong cheese such as English Cheddar.
A seasonal soup
Eating in season is very important to fulfill our body’s nutritional needs. Soups are primarily a cold winter comfort food, but this one is so versatile that it could be for any season.
You can use carrots, turnips, peas, potatoes, celery, leeks, and pumpkins in the cool season. Use green beans, corn, and summer squash in the warm season.
Boost it up with spices and herbs
This chicken and vegetable pot pie soup does not call for many spices. Salt and black pepper are what I usually use, but adding other spices and herbs could enhance its flavor.
For example, adding ginger and turmeric to the soup may increase its immune-boosting properties. According to healthline.com, they are the most extensively studied ingredients in herbal medicine, and some studies show that they help improve immune function and reduce inflammation.
Herbs are also very beneficial to our health. In addition to their pleasant aroma, they are rich in vitamins and can help regulate the digestive system. In addition, some herbs, such as oregano, contain anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You may read more about the benefits of herbs here.
It is possible to make this soup vegetarian by skipping the chicken. You won’t compromise the taste with all the flavors by omitting the meat. B t I have to admit that it does give it more depth.
You can make this soup in a crockpot with no problem. However, I would advise you to saute the onions and garlic beforehand. Then, add the rest of the ingredients except for the white sauce and any frozen veggies. Set the crockpot at low for six hours. Thirty minutes into the end of the cooking process, add the frozen veggies and the white sauce.
Vegetable Chicken Pot Pie Soup
The vegetable base
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 pound button mushrooms, cut
- 1 cup peas
- 2 cup potatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp oregano, parsley, or basil
- 1 1/2 quarts water or broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken
White sauce (thickener)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute till wilted, then add the rest of the vegetables. Continue to saute for 4 minutes.
- Add in the water or broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
Make the white sauce
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then stir in the flour till browned a little.
- Slowly pour in the milk. Keep stirring till thickened.
- Set aside for later.
Thicken the soup
- After 30 minutes, the vegetables should be tender.
- Whisk in the white sauce to incorporate.
- Add more herbs if necessary, and adjust the seasoning to your taste.